Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Episode 6: In which the jewel thief gets caught by an ususpecting peasant

I don't even know if I have anything very interesting to write about, but I've just got nothing to do. I wonder if they'd let me bring a book tomorrow. I'm glad I switched to this blog over the mass emails because now I can write as much as I want and not feel bad that I'm flooding your inboxes with some boring stories.

It's just past 2:30 pm now. Another 2.5 hours of work and then I'm outta here. I went to lunch at a little Thai place today and got this very spicy dish of something-or-other noodles, and they gave me a bib to use, but I said to myself, "I don't need a bib! I'm a grown man!" Apparently, however, I am not. I got drops of broth all over myself, and now I look like a fool. I'm so embarrassed. I was reading the news online earlier and saw that 3 people were arrested at the Sanja Matsuri on Sunday for getting on top of some mikoshi (the shrines on poles that people carry up and down the streets)! Apparently there were 10 other people who did it, too, whom the police are still trying to find! I don't have any idea how you would go about finding these people after the fact.

Oh, I just met Shino, the other man I'm working with. It put me off balance for a moment because he introduced himself to me in flawless English. But then afterwards he said 「これから日本語で話しましょうか。勉強になりますから。」 (From now on let's talk in Japanese, so you can learn more). Anyways, he seems very friendly, and I've been listening to him talk on the phone and I'm just blown away by all the honorific speech he uses. It's slightly intimidating. For those of you who don't know (most of you), honorific/polite speech in Japanese is almost like a totally different language. I hope I'll actually get to practice some of that because lord knows I need it.

Man, only 2:51 now. I thought maybe time would pass faster if I wrote some.

Last night I ran out of cold medicine so I went to a pharmacy to try and get some more. I, of course, had no idea what I was looking for so I just told the guy right away that I couldn't read Japanese very well and where could I find some kaze kusuri (cold medicine)? He asked me if I had a fever, I said no, and then he said a whole bunch of gobbledy-gook very very quickly, showed me a box of medicine with a picture of a guy coughing on the front and so I figured that was it, I nodded and paid for it. He kept saying the word seki, which is the word for 'seat' and I couldn't figure out what he was trying to tell me and what the hell it had to do with a seat. Later, of course, I discovered that seki means not only 'seat', but also 'cough.' Of course.

This is actually making work more interesting for me, writing on here, so I hope I'm not boring you all.

2 things I'm just remembering about the Sanja Matsuri on Sunday that I forgot to mention:
1) I saw an albino Japanese guy and really wanted to take his picture, but I figured that would be incredibly rude, so I didn't.
2) Of all the man-thongs I saw that day, my award for best in show goes to the guy who had the "Hello Kitty" thong in all its pink glory.

The Senior Landscape Architect at Jeffrey L. Bruce & Co., one of our clients, is named Bob G. Bushyhead.

Yesterday Ted said I didn't have to come into work until 10 oclock, so I missed most of the rush hour traffic on the train in the morning, but today I had to come in at 9, and my goodness! First of all, I had to wait for 3 trains to go by before I could even fit into one. Then, you get in and you really can't move at all and it's so crowded that no one can hold onto anything, so you're only staying standing by the power of everybody squeezing together. And everybody sways as one massive group as the train moves, it's really quite an experience. Also, walking up this hill to get to our building each day is going to be quite good for me, especially if I figure out how to walk the whole way instead of taking the train. Maybe that will wait until I'm no longer sick, though.

Tonight I would sort of like to go to the Ruby Room to check out the scene before I play there tomorrow night, but on the other hand it might be better for me to get some rest. I'll have to see how I feel later, I guess.

I found out why the area I'm living in is nicknamed karasumori ("Crow's forest"), and I suppose it's obvious, but there are crows everywhere around my place! Big ones.

Hey, alright, I was just given something to actually do! Gotta go. Love y'all. oyasumi (good night)

No comments: