Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Japan's seasonal food/beverage specials

Japan has this crazy and amazing thing where companies like Nestle, or Pepsi, etc. will come out with seasonal flavors for their candy/beverages/whatever. The thing that makes it really awesome to me is that pretty much every time I go to the convenience store, I can find something new that I have never had before. Often, I can find something new that I would never even fathom. For example, the newest flavor from Pepsi for the summer, which hit stores just yesterday, is "Pepsi Cucumber Ice." I am not kidding. I just read a whole news story about it, and the first thing I'm thinking is "where the heck can I get my hands on one of these?!" As far as I know, there isn't actually any cucumber in it, but it is meant to taste like the "refreshing" vegetable that we all know and love.

Fanta is also a big partaker in the seasonal-flavors-for-their-drinks party. Though I doubt they've ever done cucumber, they do a very wide range of fruit flavors (I wish I could think of some examples off-hand; most recently I had melon cream soda).

Well, the only reason I brought this whole thing up is because I just read the story about Pepsi Cucumber Ice, and I gotta have it. I get off work in 15 minutes and I assure you: as soon as I find it you will have pictures.

update: Found the following on Pepsi's Japanese home page:

No comments: