Thursday, June 21, 2007

Part XXVII: A Pleasant Surprise

I was a bit disappointed in my show last night. I just felt off the whole show, like something just wasn't working right. But I think it's best not to think about it. Don't let it get me down. Plus, it could just be because I was so happy with my show last week that by comparison this one was worse, but maybe still okay. Who knows...

I met up with Lauren for dinner beforehand and we ate at a Chinese place that ended up being pretty good and we made it in right before it got filled up, so we were lucky. Lauren and I aren't good friends or anything, and we may never be, but it was still good to see her, and I was glad she could come to see me play. That was really nice of her. She had a friend who was going to meet us at the Ruby Room to see my show as well, but she got lost and didn't make it in time. We got to talk, though, afterwards and she was nice. Lauren came here a couple days ago to work at Tokyo University doing some sort of graduate research (shes an engineer). All my friends were very impressed because Todai (shortening of Tokyo Daigaku, or Tokyo University) is basically the number one university in Japan.

I had a pleasant surprise today at work: Kie came to my building and we had lunch together! Okay, so she didn't come here just to see me--she just got a part-time job that's right down the street from where I work and today is her first day there--but it was still a nice gesture that she thought to ask me to lunch. I'm beginning to like Kie, by the way (yes, like like). I need to start talking to her in Japanese, though, so I can actually practice. She is pretty adamant about speaking to me in English because she wants to practice (not that she needs it, her English is far better than my Japanese), so I always end up just speaking back to her in English. She's about to graduate so she's job-hunting right now. She's got an interview next week with an England study abroad office. She's really nervous because the interview's in English, but she'll be fine. I told her she just needs to show them how much she loved her experience studying in England (which she did, a lot) and that she can express that well to other students who could potentially want to go there. If she can do that, she'll be fine. Apparently that's what her job would mostly be, just marketing their programs to students.

I think it will be fairly easy for me to get a job here, even if I don't get the teaching job (with Jet or Nova, etc.), although that would be my first choice. There are SO many opportunities for English-Japanese bilinguals here. It does seem like lately, they've been shifting to give more of those kinds of opportunities to Japanese natives because more and more Japanese are learning English, but even still. I think the biggest hump would be actually moving here, and then things would fall into place pretty easily. If nothing else, I could always get a job at a restaurant (there are TONS of restaurants here that cater to foreigners and have foreign staff) or a hotel as a temporary thing. I think Ted might be able to help me get a job, too, because he used to work as a headhunter and he knows a lot of people/employers who would be interested in someone like me, he said. So that's excellent. I'm in good shape, I think.

Well, mes amis, I am off. Ted gave me a project to work on while he's gone (he's leaving this weekend and will be gone for the whole rest of my internship; sad, I know), so I'll get a head start on it in this last hour of work today.

Sayonara,
Lawrence

No comments: